Power outage is a common thing, especially when there are snowstorms, hurricanes, or even utility blackouts. However, not many homeowners remember to buy a backup generator until they have a power blackout. When you lose electricity, your comfort is compromised, and literally, everything that requires electricity to operate cannot work. You lose lighting, electronics, your HVAC, and more. Even the fresh food in your freezer is at risk of spoiling. As such, you require a backup generator to protect yourself and your household from costly and dangerous situations. Read more here to find out why a diesel generator is great for your home. This article will highlight for you types of backup generators and their benefits.
Before purchasing a generator, you ought to consider your needs first. Here are two varieties of house generators you can choose from.
Portable generators are mainly powered with gasoline or diesel. However, the new model might have propane propelled generators. If you need the power for a short period only, then a portable generator could be the best option. Such generators are a bit less expensive. However, they provide power for a short period.
If the main source of power is not restored soon, it means you could be compromising the safety and comfort of your household. However, the option is pocket-friendly, and you can rely on it if you have enough gasoline or diesel. Unlike the standby generator that gives electricity to the entire home, a portable generator is meant for individual and important appliances. Portable generators come with several benefits.
- It is less expensive. This means you can afford it even with a tight budget.
- As the name suggests, portable generators can be carried from one place to another. They provide convenience when you want to power up a specific part of the house.
This is a permanent generator that you install outside the house. Mostly, the generator is powered with propane or natural gas. It turns on automatically when the main power goes off and turns off immediately it restores. Although a standby generator is a bit costly, it is more reliable compared to other choices. Here are its benefits.
- The fact that the generator automatically turns on and off is one major benefit. That means, when the power goes off, you do not have to eliminate the use of appliances or your central heating system. It immediately provides the power and will turn off once the main power is restored.
- Standby generators provide the comfort you need. When the power goes off, you will not lose the comfort of your HVAC. The generator takes over without causing any glitch.
- Standby generators increase the value of your home. If you are planning on selling your home later, a standby generator can be a big attraction factor for buyers. Real estate can use the equipment as a selling point when selling your house.
These are the types of backup generators and their benefits. When buying one, you need to consider your needs and your budget. Each of these two options has its pros and cons. However, the most important thing is to have an electricity backup for comfort and safety.